Saturday, March 18, 2006

seeing the sights

Lots of walking today...felt good, since I've been eating like a tourist (carbonara on Lygon! chicken on Brunswick!). I rationalize it by telling myself "how often are you in Australia?? Enjoy!!" Now if I could just get my waistline to accept the rationalization as well...

Saw the city from up on high at the Rialto Tower (I'm fond of city towers...some good memories from them). Walked up through Melbourne to Brunswick Street, a crunchy, quirky street of cafes and shops. On the way, we stopped at the Sofitel, to see the "loo with a view" - 35th floor restroom with a glass wall, with a great view of the city (thanks for the tip, David!).

Then on to the Melbourne Gaol and beaucoup Ned Kelly. Interesting, but a bit dull...no guided tours, and it really could have used some way to bring the history alive a bit. Did get a Ned Kelly doll for my cube, which I like. It wasn't until we left that Jen and I realized we'd gone in through the exit, and thus missed the "pay $12.50 each to get in" part.

Oops.

Hit a "Big W" (Walmart's Aussie store) for a face washer (wash cloth), then over to Safeway (yup, same one) for some chicken salt (I hear good things about it...can't wait to try it). Stopped for some iced chai and sat for a bit on the way back, then "home" to rest, shower, and gussy up for a night on the town. This place is *happening*...a definite party atmosphere with the Commonwealth Games in town. Wheee!!

(A side note: A weird thing that Jen pointed out and that I saw in action tonight is that stores close down way early on Saturdays here...show up around 5pm and they are locked up. Tough for an American used to
"convenience culture" and shopping on weekend nights. We are spoiled.)

Okay, off we go...I'm thinking a salad for dinner (and my jeans will thank me for it, I'm sure).

Cheers!

No comments: