Tuesday, May 23, 2006

set the waybac machine, sherman

Tonight was my nephew Cole's "promotion" from eighth grade [apparently it isn't called a graduation any more]. It was strange, being in the new middle school that didn't exist when I lived here, hearing many of the same last names being called and realizing these were the kids of people I'd gone to school with.

Before the ceremony, I saw Lynette Whyde...she was my closest and best friend way back when. She lived down the block, and we ran around together, took swimming lessons together, did the things that 9- and 10-year old girls do. I recognized her right away...she was always a beautiful girl, and now she is a beautiful woman. With luck, we'll be able to get together while I'm here, to catch up, share stories, see where life has brought us.

I also got to talk with Brad Dye for the first time in about 21 [gulp] years. We were on the quiz team together, and I had always admired him...he was a smart ass who was also smart. He said what he felt, acted up, but was also a good friend and was always there for you. I envied his self-confidence and attitude...it took me many years before I embraced the cynical, sarcastic side of myself.

Another highlight was getting to see Mr. Goins, who is now the assistant principal of the middle school. He was my honors English teacher in high school, and I really respected him. He was one of the few teachers who treated us as adults; this didn't go over so well with some, since it meant adult expectations, but I learned a lot with him. I had last talked with him about six years ago; I'd coincidentally run into him during a visit home, and got a chance to tell him how much his teaching meant to me.

Tonight, they announced that this was his last year teaching...he was retiring after 35 years. After the promotion ceremony, I stopped by to see him...I waited my turn, then said simply, "Thank you, from a member of the class of '87." He actually remembered me, which was incredibly flattering, especially given a 35 year career...he asked me if I was still in California, and even told me that he still had one of my poems around. We chatted for a bit, he hugged me, I thanked him for everything...his influence is still there with me, 20 years later.

Then Mom, Dad, and I went to dinner at Adornetto's pizzeria...every time I come home, that is a must for me [you've got to love their ever-so-appropriate slogan: "the pizza people come home for"]. It is still there in the same place it has been for more then 30 years, and was a big part of my high school times. It's changed a bit inside, but the pizza is [thankfully] still the same. Sadly, they've gotten rid of the "Fanky Malloon" machine...it was an automated machine that blew up and dispensed helium balloons. You pushed the button of the color you wanted, a carousel rotated around, a balloon came down onto the nozzle and inflated, then it went "PONK!" and popped off, sealed and ready to go. Of course, it didn't make it very far, since helium was meant to be inhaled...

Ate far too much [yum], then Dad drove us down to Dillon Dam for some sightseeing and to check out their fishing spots. The drive back was nice...quiet, warm, food-coma setting in, good company, the obligatory stop for Mom's English Toffee coffee. Now we are home and unwinding for the evening, with nowhere to go, nothing specific to do, just relaxing and spending time together.

This is the way it should be.

No comments: