Sunday, August 06, 2006

one of these days...

...I will find myself dating somebody who can't wait to spend time with me, and who doesn't see it as an awkward interruption of their day to try to make time for me. We will see the rest of life as what is keeping us from spending time together, rather than the reverse, and even better, we will find ways to *share* those bits of life with each other.

How do I know that this will happen? Because it is one of the many things I've learned through the years about what I want in a partner and a relationship: somebody who willingly makes time for me and for whom I want to make time; somebody that is a partner, where we are the equal of each other in most ways, and also better than the other in complementary ways [in the "supplying mutual needs or offsetting mutual lacks" definition of the word]. A relationship in which you put each other up on pedestals, yet see the faults and love each other anyway. Need and be needed, love and be loved, support and be supported.

I've been lucky...I've had this in various forms and times in my life. That's how I know what I want [okay, that, and the fact that I've seen what I *don't* want, as well]. It's all a matter of refining the parameters, figuring out what *really* matters to you, what you will and won't compromise on. And the nice thing is that when it happens, I will be going into it with eyes [and heart] wide open...

No comments: