Friday, September 07, 2007

click click click sigh

Left work, excited to spend an evening with MyFriendJen at the Celebrity Forum lecture tonight. Call her on the way to my car: "Hey, since I'm parked two blocks from your place, want to meet there, catch up, grab some dinner before the lecture?" Get in car, turn key...

...click click click click.

Dead battery. Dead dead, shuffled off this mortal coil, nailed to the perch. Bleedin' demised.

Call Jen, let her know I can't make it. I look for my State Farm 'roadside assistance' info...what's this?? The roadside assistance code isn't on my insurance card...but I'm pretty sure that I have the coverage. Hmmm....call agent, leave message asking her to confirm that I have it.

Call AAA. "Hi, I'm Alex. Oh, I see a Stacey Gladman in our system, but I'm afraid your membership expired." Doh. But very, very, VERY nice AAAlex looks up a local towing company for me on Yahoo and gives me the number [that was some incredibly cool customer service...thank you, AAAlex].

Call MyFriendJen to let her know, and she offers her AAA card. She comes by [since I'm only two blocks away], calls AAA for my car, and then hangs out with me while we wait. And she even brought me chocolates [my birthday present...extremely yummy Godiva choccies].

[Have I mentioned how much MyFriendJen rocks?? It's worth repeating.]

Car started with a simple jump [hurrah], but turns out I'm in the sixth year of a four-year battery, so need to replace it, don't trust it, et cetera. Had to keep car running for half an hour or so to let the battery charge, which meant I couldn't make the lecture [darn it!!], since I would be late, and I wouldn't trust the battery afterwards anyway.

Puttered around for a while, sending positive thoughts to the battery. Made sure to park on the street and not in the garage, just in case it doesn't start up again. Tomorrow will be the necessary chores of trying to start car, calling dealership to get car in as soon as possible, dealing with car if it doesn't start, and all that fun stuff. Oh yeah...and renewing AAA.

Now to get some dinner, then most likely go out and see if car starts [out of sick curiosity], then come back in and catch up on life around the house, medicate the bronchitis [still there, but not coughing as much, which is a truly wonderful thing], and then sit down to breathe for a bit [as much as my congested lungs will let me, of course].

Isn't being a grown-up *fun* sometimes?? :^p

No comments: