Monday, October 15, 2007

the paralysis of choice

It's an awkward fact of life that having too many choices can be far more inhibiting and paralyzing than having limited choices. When there is only one road to take, we have no option but to keep on it...but when faced with multiple paths, the woulda/coulda/shoulda/yeah-but/what-ifs can be overwhelming, locking up the system and grinding the gears. We end up choosing by not choosing, continuing with the status quo, one foot in front of the other. This also means that it is much easier [and very much a part of human nature] to convince ourselves that we have no choice, that we are helpless and at the whim of fate, circumstances, the past, the present, the tides, the constellations, the gods, the neighbor next door, anything and everything that helps us cope with what life is for us right now.

You see, the trouble with admitting to yourself that you have choices and paths and options is that once you do, you then have to act. The blinders are off, you can't pretend to yourself, and you are now faced with the fact that the reason you are still in that position is that, for whatever reasons, you are *choosing* to be there. Granted there are things that are entirely out of our control, things like weather, some health issues, other people, the price of oil, that barking dog down the street...but there is much more that is within our ability to influence than we are comfortable acknowledging.

One thing I am working on is being aware of when I am "choosing not to choose". I'm taking the uncertainty out of the hands of fate and putting it into my own, simply by acknowledging that I'm not ready to broach that paralysis yet and start off on another path. It gives me control of the situation, and gives me time to think it through, work it out, and truly own it, without feeling as windblown and lost at sea. Nothing has changed except how I perceive the situation, but that is a fundamental and empowering perception...and when the time is right, and things fall into place, I can make a better decision. This in turn gives me the additional freedom of knowing that no matter what path I choose, I can always adjust and correct it...which breaks the cycle of "if I choose the wrong path, I will be miserable forever, so better not to choose at all, but I'm unhappy now, but I can't do anything about it because if I choose the wrong path, I'll be miserable forever..."

So yes, too many choices can be intimidating and terrifying...but I prefer facing that fear, rather than feeling that I have no options at all. At least with choices, I have hope...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are certainly things that happen beyond our control. And what options are available to us can be imposed from outside. The person who puts a gun to your head and says "Your money or your life" has decided what your options are. But you do have options.

Other than some extreme cases, tho, we decide our own lives, make our own prison bars, decide for ourselves whether we want to see them.

Evey on the roof in the rain with V will always remain for me one of the most memorable and effecting scenes I've ever read.

stacey said...

"You were already in a prison. You’ve been in a prison all your life."

It took me years before I could truly internalize that quote...sometimes it's easier to choose not to see the bars.

But once you do...

Anonymous said...

Ach. Usually take pains to make sure I sign my comments (hate anonymous posters). So, for the record, that anonymous above was me.

stacey said...

Heh...I figured. And ditto on the anon posts...thanks for 'fessing up. :^)

Anonymous said...

"... and within that inch we are free."

Nuts. Now I'm going to have to go back and read it, at least that portion, yet again.

stacey said...

LOL! I was just sending myself a reminder to dig it out and read it again. :^)

Been working through a few of the Dark Knight trades this week [for the umpteenth time]: "The Dark Knight Returns" and "The Dark Knight Strikes Back". Always loved the idea of following the heroes through life..."Identity Crisis" is one of my oft-loaned favourites.