Wednesday, July 11, 2007

i can see clearly now

Okay, it's not me that's seeing clearly, but my friend Rod...went with him as he had lasik done on his right eye. It's pretty frickin' fascinating...they had a monitor in the waiting room that showed you the current procedure going on. I couldn't take my eyes off it [ugh...no pun intended]. It's amazing what we can do...it's just so Buck Rogers: "So, Mr. Hylton, we are going to clip your eye open, slice a bit of it and fold it back to expose the inner surface, shoot a laser at it, and by tomorrow morning, your eyesight will be 20/15."

He called me today and I loved hearing him talk about it...he is 20/15 in the lased eye. It really is a life-changing experience. You wouldn't think seeing clearly without correction would be, but it is...you turn into this giddy fool, gushing "I can read that sign!!" over and over. My personal "Whaaahooo!" moment with mine was taking a shower the next morning [not even 18 hours after my surgery, mind you]...I looked up at the shelf and could read the shampoo and conditioner bottles. It doesn't sound like much, but when you are nearly blind in one eye and can't see until you put on your glasses or insert your contacts, that is an awesome thing to experience. It's hard to describe, but once you go through it, you are changed. It's like a religious epiphany...

So how did Rod and I celebrate his new eyesight? By watching the episodes of "Battlestar Galactica" that I haven't seen yet. Many of them in high-def [heh...I told Rod that he is now seeing in high-def, that he just went from analog to digital vision <grin> ]. Still more to go to catch me up on the series...but holy carp [fish with a halo :^) ], is it intense. Wow.

Darn you, Mr. Roderick Roy(e) Hylton...you've got me hooked. And congrats on the new eyes...you should celebrate by seeing the new Harry Potter movie [they released it today! two days ahead of the originally planned date!].

No comments: