Friday, May 30, 2008

promise

This was read by the groom's cousin at MyFriendJen's wedding this past weekend...it really resonated with me.

PROMISE
by Dorothy Colgan

I promise to give you the best of myself
and to ask of you no more than you can give.

I promise to respect you as your own person
and to realise that your interests, desires and needs
are no less important than my own.

I promise to share with you my time and my attention
and to bring joy, strength and imagination
to our
relationship.

I promise to keep myself open to you,
to let you see through the window of my world into my
innermost fears and feelings, secrets and dreams.

I promise to grow along with you,
to be willing to face changes in order to keep our
relationship alive and exciting.

I promise to love you in good times and in bad,
with all I have to give and all I feel inside
in the
only way I know how.

Completely and forever.

2 comments:

Rowlock said...

That's a really beautiful expression of what love can be. I hesitate to say "should be", but it's an excellent picture to aim for.

Thank you for sharing it.

stacey said...

Very welcome...

It says many of the things that I've been rambling about in this blog over the years. The second stanza especially...