Wednesday, April 04, 2012

more random memories

Some good, some not...all part of me:

Raking pine needles at the cabin.

Buying the awesome Target brand maple nut goodies for Mom [they were so much better than Brach's...I can't seem to find them anymore now, sadly].

Trying to get the office chair into Karen's Boxster...and eventually succeeding.

That incredible moment of seeing the Golden Gate Bridge after a long and too-eventful drive cross-country so many years ago...goosebumps, tears, relief, uncertainty, anticipation.

Seeing the German candy and merchandise at Cost Plus, which sparks all kinds of memories of childhood and family and adventure and a big wide world.

The same German merchandise making me sad for the Christmas ornaments from my past, lost during an upheaval.

Buying a four-foot teddy bear and getting him home from work on Bay Area public transit...so many smiles that day.

Trying to help a friend who had overdosed, and watching the friend who gave him the drug just stand by and watch, frozen.

That first trip into the outside world after my ankle surgery, to a local mall, and how exhausted I was, and how surprised and disappointed I was by that.

That 'clink-clink-clink' sound that Dad's wedding band made against the salt shaker as he salted his food.

That time at Roscoe Village when Mom swatted away a hovering bee...and knocked it straight into my neck, stinging me [to her horror and chagrin].

Playing on the giant wooden wire spools that Dad brought home. The best part was threading a long metal pole through the center of the large one, and putting two smaller ones on either side...two of us would sit on the smaller ones and roll the large one with our hands. Tah-dah, instant transportation and much fun.

Trying to convince Dad that the light switch in the basement really did shock us...his 'years as an electrician' hands didn't even register small shocks anymore, so he finally had to bust out his multimeter to see that we were telling the truth.

Fluff and his bubble gum. Little Bit and his cheese. Darwin and his greenies.

Feeling like such a stud with my big-as-a-brick Nokia 9000 phone...it could dial up to Earthlink and get internet on it! I was the envy of the office with that thing. <grin>

The 'sunroom' in the little house in Moss Beach...I loved that room. Futon, lamp, music, filtered light...a perfect little reading room, a place to hide away for a bit.

Breakfast with Mom on my balcony overlooking the marina. Just the two of us, the rising sun, coffee, cereal, conversation, quiet. One of my favorite memories.

No comments: