Saturday, April 01, 2006

geeking out

Went to Book Buyers tonight and walked out with eighteen of the Piers Anthony Xanth novels. Shameless pun indulgence, fluffy fun, and I can't wait to get back into them. I love Book Buyers...I ended up with over $91 worth of paperback for about $38. Scary thing is, I still have another nine or ten books in the series yet to find, too...hurrah for prolific authors.

(aren't they pretty??)

Spent a fair amount of time talking with a fellow SF/F fan named Jim, a physicist at SLAC with a similar predilection for reading [I am a self-confessed "compulsive reader"]. We geeked out over Heinlein, Spider Robinson, "Firefly" [see an earlier blog about my evil friend Brian], Babylon 5, Usenet in the "old days", Sandman, Callahan's, and a lot more. He recommended author Christopher Moore's "Bloodsucking Fiends", I recommended "Strangers in Paradise" and seeing "V for Vendetta". The conversation was a lot of fun, and totally unexpected. We traded email addresses, then I headed up to the register to pay for my new old treasures [I love used book stores].

On the not-so-geeky side, I'm now off to finish up laundry, then totally indulge myself with a long bath, candles, and [speaking of compulsive] a good book. Tomorrow is a busy day: lunch plans, things to box and ship, taxes to do, porch light to change, etc., etc. [cue Yul Brynner: "Et ceetterrraaaaa, et ceettteeerrraaaaahhhh, et ceettteerrraaaaahhhh"], so going to totally veg tonight. Bubble bath, here I come!

No comments: